When I retire, how do I withdraw from KiwiSaver?

  • When can I withdraw KiwiSaver funds?

    On or after 1 July 2019, your Qualifying Age will usually be the age at which you're eligible for New Zealand Superannuation (currently 65). You still have to meet the five-year membership requirement even if you first joined a complying superannuation fund before that date. If you opt out of the five-year membership requirement, your Qualifying Age will be the age at which you become eligible for New Zealand Superannuation (currently 65). Once you become eligible for New Zealand Superannuation, you won't be eligible for Government or employer contributions.

  • When does the five years in KiwiSaver start?

    Five-year qualification means the earlier of:

    • Five years after joining a KiwiSaver scheme or the day on which the Commissioner of Inland Revenue received your first contribution for a KiwiSaver scheme

  • Once I'm eligible, what options do I have?

    Upon reaching eligibility age, you have three options:

    • Don't do anything. You don't have to access KiwiSaver just because you're eligible! People who leave their funds in KiwiSaver have a highly diversified, cost-effective retirement savings plan.
    • Make regular withdrawals from KiwiSaver to supplement your retirement income. You can access your funds whenever you need them.

  • Am I still eligible for employer contributions?

    You don't qualify. If you keep working, your employer can contribute if they want to, but it's not compulsory.

    You should talk to your boss about it.

  • Am I still eligible for government contributions?

    Not at all. You're no longer eligible for government contributions once you're 65.

    Members are only eligible for government contributions for part of the year they become eligible to withdraw.

  • How do I withdraw KiwiSaver funds?

    Fill out the Withdrawal, Retirement Form. Send it along with a copy of your photo ID to our KiwiSaver provider: once completed and signed by you and a witness.

  • Why do I need a statutory declaration?

    Before withdrawing any Government contributions, the member must fill out a statutory declaration. An authorised witness witnesses a statutory declaration, which declares something to be true.

    It must be signed and dated in front of someone who has authority to take statutory declarations, and they must also sign to confirm that you've signed it.

    A statutory declaration's witness must be one of the following:

    • Member of Parliament
    • Lawyer
    • Justice of the Peace
    • Registered Legal Executive (Fellow of NZILE) or
    • Government Officer authorised to take statutory declarations